Environment & Responsibility
Sustainability is being valued more and more amongst today's environmentally conscious end users. The fact that wood is a renewable raw material is only one aspect of timbers excellent environmental credentials.
• Wood is a renewable material.
• The use of wood products mitigates climate change. Forests function as carbon sinks absorbing carbon as they grow, and after the timber has been harvested, wood products act as carbon dioxide stores.
• Wood is a durable material and wood products have long service lives.
• Most wood products can be reused and recycled.
• At the end of their life cycle, wood products can be utilised for bio energy generation. Burning of wood releases the same amount of carbon dioxide into the air as wood decomposing on the forest floor.
• Manufacturing wood products usually requires less energy than alternative materials. Most of the energy used in manufacturing wood products is bio energy, which is obtained from the by-products of harvesting and production, such as bark, chips and sawdust. Bio energy is carbon neutral.
HOW DO WE MINIMISE OUR ENVIRONMENTAL IMPACTS?
• UPM is committed to sustainable forestry and forest management methods which are based on the internationally accepted principles of sustainable forest management.
• We know the origin of the wood we use.
• We know and control the environmental impacts of our sawmills and further processing mills and are committed to continuous improvement. All our mills have certified ISO 14001 environmental management system.
• Permits issued by the environmental authorities regulate our activities and we report transparently on our operations.