global biodiversity program is part of our everyday actions
UPM has a global biodiversity programme that aims to maintain biodiversity in forests as well as promote best practices in sustainable forestry and wood sourcing. UPM has integrated the program to our every day forest management through our Forestry and wood Sourcing Guidelines.
UPM’s biodiversity programme has six key elements that are important for forest biodiversity:
1. We maintain and increase proportion of native tree species and their natural composition.
2. We manage deadwood quality and quantity to enhance biodiversity.
3. We protect valuable habitats and manage them for their biodiversity value.
4. We manage variation in forest structure at landscape and stand level.
5. We maintain open water bodies and wetlands.
6. We implement plan for remnants of natural forests.